Sunday, January 24, 2021

Procol Harum


Artist: Procol Harum
LP: Exotic Birds and Fruit
Song: "As Strong As Samson"
[ listen ]
Song: "The Thin End of the Wedge"
[ listen ]
Song: "Fresh Fruit"
[ listen ]

Speaking of classic bands I'm just now finally getting into: Digging up a terrific Procol Harum single (no, not "A Whiter Shade of Pale") at my local record store a month or two ago prompted me to embark on a mini-binge, buying just about all of the group's early LPs, which the store just happened to have used copies of in stock. "Exotic Birds and Fruit" is Procol Harum's 7th LP, released in 1974. Peaking at only #86 on the US album charts, it was their least successful record up to that point...which, as we now know, probably means it was their best one so far!

Formed in 1967, Procol Harum is one of those bands whose name I'd heard and whose records I'd seen over the years, but I'd just never bothered looking into them. (Others are Three Dog Night, UFO, Uriah Heep...there are a bunch of them.) Anyway, these guys are good. I'm glad I've finally added some of their stuff to my collection! You can read about Procol Harum here, and there's info on this particular record right here.

 
[ Procol Harum ]

1 comment:

David said...

You might enjoy this A Whiter Shade of Pale live in Denmark clip from 2006: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM

Stay safe Dear...