Thursday, March 25, 2021

Shannon

Artist: Shannon
LP: 7" single
Song: "My Heart's Divided"
[ listen ] 
 
This 1984 Shannon 45 arrived in the mail today with a stack of other singles from Germany! I've previously focused mainly on collecting singles released in the USA, but now a whole new continent of vinyl is opening up to me. This is both thrilling and daunting. It's thrilling because, you know...RECORDS! It's daunting because I don't have any space in my apartment for more records. Oh, well.
 
"My Heart's Divided" was the third single from Shannon's debut LP, "Let the Music Play." The album's title track was the first single, and it's Shannon's only release to enter the top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 (it peaked at #8). Shannon's second single from the album, "Give Me Tonight," peaked at #46 on the Hot 100, and went to #6 on the Billboard R&B singles chart. Though it's a perfectly fine follow-up to those, "My Heart's Divided" did not crack the Hot 100 at all, and only went to #48 on the Billboard R&B singles chart. The song didn't register on the charts in other countries either, even in Germany, but at least there the label put the record in a picture sleeve, whereas the American release featured a generic plain white sleeve. So when I went online to shop for a copy, I chose the one from Germany. 
 
The fact that Shannon had just one hit single in the USA says more about Americans than it does about this wonderfully talented and beautiful artist. According to the Who's Dated Who website, Shannon may currently be single...so it seems Americans still haven't learned how to appreciate a good thing when it comes to Shannon.
 
[ Shannon ]

No comments: