Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Slim Boyd and the Rangehands

Artist: Slim Boyd and the Rangehands
LP: Country & Western Hits
Song: "Cowpoke"
[ listen ]

My book group is meeting tonight to discuss one of my favorite novels, Sinclair Lewis' "Main Street." I read 260 pages this past weekend, finishing the book early Sunday evening. For our August meeting, the group will be reading "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood. I stopped by Half Price Books in the University District after my piano lesson last night to see if I could pick up a used copy. I found one, and of course I also poked around in the used LP bins for a bit. There's no listening station at the book store, but this $1.98 country record seemed to have a lot going for it: the LP cover art looks like it was lifted from the dust jacket of an old Nancy Drew mystery story; the back cover features an old-west lonely cowboy pencil drawing; the singer's name is "Slim Boyd" and he's got rangehands. I decided to go ahead and take a chance. When I got home, I discovered that I'd just purchased one of the neatest old country western records in my collection. Yeeeeee-Haaaaaaaww!

No comments: