Friday, November 5, 2010

Marty Gold

Artist: Marty Gold
LP: Wired For Sound
Song: "Ti-Pi-Tin"
[ listen ]

In spite of the fact that Republicans and Tea Partiers (uh, that should be "Obama, where ARE your papers?") took over the U.S. Congress on Tuesday, this has been a pretty good week for me. My father is recovering nicely from a horrible heart-attack last Thursday; I heard on the news this morning that Patty Murray and not Dino Rossi will be my U.S. Senator; it's been sunny and warm here in Seattle for these past few days and I just found a box of Junior Mints in the fridge at work. To kick off the weekend, here's a joyous little ditty from a Marty Gold record I found at Backspin Records in Austin a few weeks ago. A native New Yorker, Marty Gold has worked with the likes of Patti Page, Georgia Gibbs and Sarah Vaughan, and will be celebrating his 95th birthday next month! You can read about Marty's long and prosperous career on the Space Age Pop website here, find his 1956 "Wired For Sound" LP liner notes below, and go here to read what Marty's granddaughter, Debbie Cavalier, has to say about him. Be sure to click on her "music videos" link to watch The Korn Kobblers' magnificent performance of "That's My Weakness Now."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 [ Marty Gold ]

No comments: