Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ballin'jack

Artist: Ballin'jack
LP: Special Pride
Song: "Big Dealer"
[ listen ]

When we finally had our first warm, sunny, and perfect spring day in Seattle two Saturdays ago, it was the weekend I was morbidly ill. I decided to take myself out for a walk in spite of my poor condition and somehow I ended up at the record store. Buying records always makes me feel better, so I went ahead and bought some and I felt better. This 1973 LP from Seattle-based rock group Ballin'jack is one of the things I came across that day. Ronnie Hammon (drums) and Luther Rabb (bass and vocals) were so inspired by the incredible success of their childhood friend, Jimi Hendrix, that they decided to try their own hand at rock-n-roll stardom. Formed in Seattle in 1969, Ballin'jack released four LPs, toured the USA, and even played in Japan before calling it quits in 1974. You can read more about Ballin'jack on Wikipedia here and find a link to the archives of letters and emails from the group's fans and family members on their official website here.

No comments: