Friday, August 19, 2011

The Doctor Exx Band

Artist: The Doctor Exx Band
LP: Superman and Other Disco Hits
Song: "Theme From Superman"
[ listen ]

After camping overnight at the Indian Lake State Park Campground, I drove into the city of Lima (pronounced, I soon learned, like "lime-uh" and not like you're in the capitol of Peru) to find some breakfast.

[ Lima, OH — plus high school runners ]

After that, I had hoped to visit the Allen County Museum, which features an exhibit of things that people in the area had accidentally swallowed (a collection evidently assembled by two local doctors). Unfortunately, the museum didn't open until 1pm, so I looked on Yelp and found a record store instead. The owner of Groamy CDs and Tapes, Groamy, gave me a warm welcome and showed me to the store's expansive basement, where I found piles and piles of records ready to be sorted through. I found some neat stuff, and Groamy assembled a listening station for me upstairs so I could hear some of the records I wasn't familiar with. My only complaint is that Groamy did a search on the internet for all the records I wanted to buy to make sure I didn't have anything that was exceedingly rare (none of the records had prices on them). Not only did this add about two hours to my Lima visit, but I also wasn't able to score any incredible deals the way you sometimes can at other used record stores. I can't complain too much though, since Groamy offered records to me for around $10 that were selling for about $25 online, and he also threw in a neat old ______________ single for free! (I'll fill that in later, I can't remember the guy's name.) There was, however, one neat record by a female vocalist from the 1950s that was going for upwards of $65 on the web. I had to put that one back, since I was only prepared to pay $5 or $6 bucks for it. I made a point of immediately forgetting the name of the record and the singer so that I didn't somehow manage to talk myself into buying an $80 copy online when I got home. This "Superman and Other Disco Hits" LP I found at Groamy's isn't very rare (you can get a sealed copy for just a dollar here), but you'll have to agree, it is pretty awesome.

[ Groamy CDs & Tapes: the basement record room ]

[ Groamy CDs & Tapes: blurry Groamy w/ computer and signed Joan Jett poster ]

[ Groamy CDs & Tapes — Lima, OH ]

No comments: