Saturday, September 22, 2012

Los Telefonistas

Artist: Los Telefonistas
LP: Cancion de un Estudiante Enamorado / Cuando Quieras Regresar
Song: "Jesse de Teran"
[ listen ]

You're the winner! You're the viewer of my 1,000th blog post! When I was looking at the cover of this 1981 record by Los Telefonistas earlier today, I noticed the different ways that the two estudiantes enamorados were holding their libros. It reminded me of an incident at the end of one particular summer many years ago, when I was about to enter junior high school. My mom noticed I was holding my schoolbooks in my arms folded across my chest, and she warned me that I was carrying them like a girl.


She instructed me that the way boys carried their textbooks was to hold them against their side at the hip, cradled in one of their hands.


I was grateful, since I certainly didn't want to make my Wilson Junior High School debut carrying my books like a girl! I wanted to carry them like a boy! I hadn't really thought about that little bit of parental advice over the years until today, but I have to say that it seems pretty damn messed up that there are actually gender-specific ways of carrying textbooks! I'm starting Spanish classes at North Seattle Community College next week, and not only will I finally find out what a "Telefonista" is, but I'm also going to make a point of carrying my schoolbooks like a girl.

 
[ Los Telefonistas ]

No comments: