Sunday, March 30, 2014

Witch Queen

Artist: Witch Queen
LP: Witch Queen
Song: "Witch Queen"
[ listen ]

I've been neglecting the blog lately since I've been so busy getting ready for my upcoming trip to the South. One of the things I've been doing in preparation (besides watching season 3 of "American Horror Story") is listening to (and dancing to) "Witch Queen" by Witch Queen, from their "Witch Queen" LP. I'm hoping I'll have a chance to perform it if there's a karaoke lounge at the Voodoo Museum in New Orleans. Also, I'll be passing through the little Northern Alabama town of Muscle Shoals, so I rented the recent documentary about all the wonderful music that's been recorded at the studios there over the years by people like Wilson Pickett, The Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Percy Sledge, Etta James and more! I highly recommend it. Coincidentally, as I was getting ready to post "Witch Queen" today, I noticed that the album was partly recorded in Muscle Shoals! Several of the Muscle Shoals studio musicians are credited on the back of the LP. (I guess it's not actually much of a coincidence since, according to the movie, around 85% of all records released in the entire world between 1968 and 1980 were recorded there). Still, it was cool to see the names of some of the guys featured in the documentary right here on the back of this record. You can read more about Muscle Shoals here, more about "Muscle Shoals" here, and go here to visit the website of the Voodoo Museum.

Featured on "Witch Queen" and in "Muscle Shoals"—the movie:
David Hood, bass (far left) 
Jimmy Johnson, guitar (far right) 
Roger Hawkins, drums (green shirt)

No comments: