Monday, April 21, 2014

Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts

Artist: Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts
LP: Nuts to You
Song: "Ding-a-Ling"
[ listen ]
Song: "A Soldier"
[ listen ]

I'm back home in Seattle after my Southern road trip and record-hunting excursion! Originally I'd planned to kick off my trip by hanging out in New Orleans for a few days, but I found it impossible to secure an available motel room there! I soon discovered that these guys were to blame: 


Well I didn't really want to hang out with the WrestleMania fellows and their fans anyway, so after flying into the New Orleans airport, I hightailed it out of town and headed northwest toward Baton Rouge. After a delicious breakfast at Louie's Cafe, I headed over to the first record store on my list, a little white house stuffed with vinyl known as Lagniappe Records (pronounced "LAN-yap"...not "lag-knee-YAP-pee," as I'd been saying...and then "WRECK-urds.") A small store with an excellent selection and decent prices, Lagniappe also features live shows and super friendly owners. The LPs are basically all mixed together in alphabetical order rather than being segregated by genre, thereby enabling browsers to find all sorts of exciting things they hadn't even realized they were looking for. I found lots of great stuff here, but this debut 1961 LP from the Chapel Hill, North Carolina frat party band Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts is right there at the top. It's nasty! You can read a little about Doug and his Nuts on Wikipedia here, and you can go here to visit the group's website. Album notes and photos from the back of the LP are included below.

[ Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts ]

[ Lagniappe Records — Baton Rouge, Louisiana ]

1 comment:

Smogmonster1313 said...

It was nice to see someone write about Doug Clark, there is very little out there on this band, It's interesting to think that they made money off the frat boys of the C
Carolinas and Va for 20 years.