Saturday, September 15, 2018

Kerouacs

Artist: Kerouacs
LP: 7" single
Song: "Cancion de las Mil Voces"
[ listen ]

I took the train from Girona back to Barcelona early on a Friday morning, arriving at the Sants railway station at about 10:00am. I'd decided to walk back to the apartment, stopping at 10,000 Records on my way. I relaxed with a cool lemon beverage in Parc de Joan Miro for a few minutes, since I was on track to arrive at the record store before it had opened for the day. 

All my planning was in vain though, because when I did arrive, the store was still closed! Someone had stuck a sign on the door saying they were on vacation and wouldn't be open again until the following Monday, my very last day in town. Thank god their vacation wasn't even one day longer.


I made a note to return on Monday, since it looked like a pretty neat shop...and how could I possibly leave Barcelona without browsing through 10,000 more records?

So now I've just discovered I've got a chance to revise history, but instead I'm going to set the record straight. Remember those two records stores near each other, both called "Revolver" something-or-other? And I'd been to Discos Revolver, but not yet to Revolver Records? Well, when I was putting my record bags in chronological order by date of purchase, I thought I'd returned to check out Revolver Records and two other stores in that same neighborhood after returning to Barcelona and finding 10,000 Records closed. But according to the order of the photos in my camera (and the receipts in my bags of records), I actually went to Revolver Records and the other stores on Monday, August 13th, the day before taking a train to Figueres.

So time-traveling back a few days, I went to Revolver Records on Monday afternoon, two days after visiting Discos Revolver and Kebra Disc (all Barcelona record stores are closed on Sunday) and back when Aretha Franklin was still alive. 

There was mostly new stuff for sale on the ground floor at Revolver Records, but after heading up the stairs at the rear of the shop I found low ceilings and bins upon bins of used 45s...and a listening station! I ended up with two bags full of singles, including this one by Kerouacs from 1970 or '71. (I love a chorus that everyone can sing along to.) There's not much info about this group online, but I think they may have been from Venezuela. Some hip and handsome shopper with a man-bun ended up photo-bombing all my Revolver Records pics...or did he. :-P

[ Revolver Records — Barcelona, Spain ]

No comments: