Wednesday, January 29, 2020

John Doté

Artist: John Doté
LP: 12" single
Song: "Gypsy Jane"
[ listen ]

There's a dog named Gypsy on Wallingford Route 75 that barks ferociously at me from behind the gate of her yard when I deliver the mail, but she's a sweetheart when I meet her on the street when she's on walks with her owner. Her owner told me that Gypsy speaks Spanish, so when I deliver mail there, I try calming her nerves by greeting her in her own language: "Hola, Gypsy. ¿Como estás, perra bonita?" It doesn't really seem to make any difference, probably because of my accent. I've tried singing "The Gypsy" to her, which seems to briefly confuse her, but then she goes right back to barking at me again. This week I'm going to try singing "Gypsy Jane," since I have a hunch she prefers late-'80s disco to classic ballads by The Ink Spots.


John Doté was born in the Bronx (why do I feel like I could have guessed) in 1955 and then moved to San Francisco in the '70s (why do I feel like I could have guessed) and became a popular drummer in the music scene there, working with Buddy Miles and Gregg Allman. Doté had a knack for music production, with credits including the theme songs for the popular TV shows "Dallas" and "Dynasty." He also handled promotions for big hits by both Janet and Michael Jackson...but not for Elmo and Patsy. You can read more about John Doté here.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Maybe she's a Fleetwood Mac fan? Or into musicals?

Alex said...

Good thinking. I'll try those too! :)

Anonymous said...

YOU STUPID FUCK FOR POSTING JOHN DOTE' ON YOUR WEBSITE YOU FAGGOT!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey man I would suggest you remove John Dote' from your homosexual website. Your really messing with the wrong people.