Monday, October 12, 2020

Lionel and The Clipper Trio

Artist: Lionel and The Clipper Trio
LP: On a Calypso Cruise
Song: "Wings of a Dove"
[ listen
Song: "Clipper Lounge Cha Cha"
[ listen ]
Song: "Mary Ann"
[ listen

If magically given one hour to travel to any destination at any point in time, I can never decide if I would go back to 1998 to have another eggs, sausage patty and toast breakfast at The Hurricane Cafe, which has been destroyed, or spend my hour on board a calypso cruise enjoying a Lionel and The Clipper Trio show live and in person. I could even bring this 1973 LP to have it signed by Lionel and his gang! I wonder if I'd be allowed to split my time into two 30-minute segments. In that case, I think I'd first go to The Hurricane, and then zip down to my calypso cruise, since I'd probably end up with sausage grease all over my autographed LP if I attended the cruise performance first, followed by the egg and sausage breakfast. 

I don't know if the magic will allow it, but if it does I'll try to bring you with me, since that may be the only way you'll get to properly hear Lionel and his Clipper Trio. The LP was recorded in some annoying form of stereo that my mp3 producing mechanism is not able to grasp, so it sounds like the vocals are being performed from a separate cruise entirely, one that only occasionally passes by the ship we're lounging on with The Clipper Trio. In any case, that's Lionel Lotmore on vocals for "Wings of the Dove," and, not that you can hear him, but that's William Anderson handling the vocal duties on "Mary Ann." 

No comments: