Monday, December 7, 2020

Lee Towers

Artist: Lee Towers
LP: A Christmas Song For You
Song: "A Christmas Song For You"
[ listen ]

Tonight I post a Christmas song for you. According to Wikipedia, Lee Towers (born in The Netherlands in 1946 with the name Leendert Huijzer) was discovered in 1975 when he became known as "The Singing Crane Mechanic" while working (repairing cranes, I assume?) on the docks of Rotterdam. I find this fascinating, but I am also rather jealous, as I have been impatiently waiting for 18 months to be discovered as "The Singing Mail-Carrier." Maybe I need to change my repertoire. I wonder what songs Leendert sang as a crane mechanic that led him to becoming discovered. Lee, if you're reading this, PLEASE TELL ME! I really could use some pointers. Tom Jones? Celine Dion? Lisa-Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force?

Anyway, Lee went on to become world-famous. This Christmas record was his second, released in 1976. It was not one of his most popular recordings, peaking only at #37 on the Dutch album charts. But Lee has had many hit records since then, and in 2019 he cut the ribbon on two residential high-rises that bear his name. I suppose this means they are officially known as "Lee Towers"...and, if Lee were ever to end up moving into the place, he would suddenly turn into a 1981 Gino Vannelli song

[ Lee Towers ]

No comments: