Sunday, April 3, 2022

Doris Day

Artist: Doris Day
LP: By the Light of the Silvery Moon [10" EP]
Song: "Be My Little Baby Bumble Bee"
[ listen ]
Song: "King Chanticleer"
[ listen ]

Happy 100th Birthday to Doris Day! If you're like me, you always hoped someone would lure Doris out of retirement (her last movie was released in 1968) to star in one last comedy...or maybe even to star in one of those horror movies featuring a formerly-super-famous actress! (I bet Doris was good with an axe well into her 70s and 80s.) Anyway, it seems appropriate that Doris and her centennial birthday have brought me out of retirement here on the blog. 

This year I revived my tradition of bringing a Doris Day birthday cake to work...but now, working at USPS with 40 or 50 colleagues, I had to supply a much larger cake than I've ever had to before. Sadly, of those 40 or 50 at work, only about 5 of them had ever even HEARD of Doris Day before, with one colleague actually even able to reference something about not eating the daisies. But if someone has to drag these youngsters, many of them raised outside the USA, kicking and screaming into mid-20th-century America, then I'm happy to be assigned the role. 

In addition to the Doris Day shrine in the break-room, the cake was accompanied by a Doris Day playlist I'd put together on my phone the night before. I couldn't figure out how to photograph my phone with the playlist on the table by the cake, since I also needed my phone to take the photos. (I bet somebody younger and more tech-savvy could've shown me how to do it.) Anyway, in spite of nobody having heard of her, and in spite of somebody pausing my Doris Day playlist every time I left the break-room, the cake was a hit with the USPS crew and it was gone by the end of the day!

[ Doris Day: April 3, 1922 — May 13, 2019 ]

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh, Alex! Only a few had even heard of Doris Day? I was about to ask, "How could that be? Even if they didn't see her movies, she was in the lyrics of 'Grease'--" and then I realized how dated that is. Did their parents go to see 'Grease' in the theaters or was it their grandparents? Yikes.

Alex said...

I know! And she's in the lyrics of Wham!'s "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"...which I suppose is now considered an "oldie-but-goodie." But when they heard George Michael croon her name, didn't it pique their curiosity, and didn't they scramble onto Google to look up this mysterious woman to find out what an American icon she is? They're just plain lazy if you ask me. :)