Friday, May 24, 2024

Gotham

Artist: Gotham

LP: Void Where Inhibited
Song: "Menage A Trois"
[ listen ]

I was digging through my disco LPs last night and found this 1979 gay disco record I'd picked up for a couple bucks at Angry Mom Records in Ithaca, NY on my Upstate New York road trip back in the autumn of 2016. According to their Discogs page, Gotham was a cabaret trio formed in 1973 that was known for their comedy as much as for their singing. They became "enormously successful" in the 1970s and '80s and were the first openly gay act to play both Washington, DC's Kennedy Center (in 1976) and (in 1978) New York City's Carnegie Hall. 

Frankly, this record isn't very good. But I do like all the harp in this "Menage A Trois" song...and the fact that the song plays like "Sesame Street" for adults. "One, and Two, and Three...You, and Me, and She!" There are some great backing vocals on the LP, including some by Phyllis Hyman and Ullanda McCullough. I also like that Gary Herb looks like Eddie Rabbitt in the artistic rendition on the back of the record, but on the front cover he looks more like Corky St. Clair

No comments: