Sunday, May 26, 2024

Na Hoon-a


Artist: Na Hoon-a
LP: 2nd Collection of Hit Songs Sung Again
Song: "Love In a Dream"
[ listen ]
Song: "Three"
[ listen ]

I just returned from a fun weekend in Centralia with friends who will be moving away to Wisconsin next month. On our way back to Seattle, we stopped at the GoodWill thrift store in Olympia, where I found, amongst the myriad Ray Conniff and Engelbert Humperdinck LPs, this uncommon-in-these-parts 1977 collection of hits by South Korean "trot" singer Na Hoon-a. 

Hoon-a released his first record back in 1966, and, according to this piece in The Korea Times, the handsome and debonaire singer will be retiring after a few final concerts later this year! I'd love to find out how his record ended up in Olympia's GoodWill bins; there's only one copy available on Discogs, and it's in Germany. Some interesting Na Hoon-a trivia can be found on Wikipedia...in 2008 he threatened to expose himself on live television to end rumors once and for all that he had been castrated by Japanese gangsters!

Thanks to the miracle of Google Translate, the English-language lyrics to the songs posted above are included below. It's incredible how it seems I could have written "Love In a Dream" myself in the summer of 1986, when I was smitten by Shawn Bagley. We met at the church dance while he was visiting his cousins in Yakima for the season from Belleville, Illinois!

LOVE IN A DREAM
Because it's a sin to love someone you shouldn't love, 
should my speechless heart cry tonight too?
Because it's a sin not being able to forget someone who should be forgotten,
without you, should my heart cry tonight too?
Ah, love - my sad love - if it's a one-night dream that I will never see again, 
I'd rather close my eyes
Don't do it, because it's a sin to love someone you shouldn't love
Should my speechless heart cry tonight too?

THREE
This feeling of leaving and the feeling of letting go
We can't say everything we want to say to each other,
but the one thing I want to say is I loved only you. 
Nora, I truly loved you.
The joy of love and the sadness of separation - now you and I can't be together again.
I still want to leave behind one thing...
The words I only loved you. I truly loved you.

[ Na Hoon-a ]

No comments: