Friday, May 15, 2009

Vic Dana

Artist: Vic Dana
LP: 7" single
Song: "Danger'"
[ listen ]

With eyes like midnight and rolling waves of ebony hair, boyishly handsome Vic Dana reportedly wrote the song "Danger" after just a single date with Annette Funicello, whom he'd met on the set of her film "Beach Party." The song became a minor hit, climbing all the way to #96 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles charts in June of 1963. Humiliated, Funicello took the advice of good friend Shelley Fabares and swore she'd never speak to Dana again. She's kept her promise to this very day—except for that time in 2003 when she unwittingly bought a used car from him in Paducah, Kentucky.

3 comments:

Bekki Lynn said...

At what point did she learn it was Vic?

Wish was sitting on their shoulders at the time.

I love Vic and wish he'd never given up his music. Of course was just a young girl at the time, but I played him all the time and he's still on my playlist.

Alex said...

Oh, I just made all that up...except the part about the song reaching #96 in June of '63, about Funicello and Fabares being good friends and Dana now selling cars in Kentucky. It makes me want to park in the path of a speeding train just so I can go to Paducah to buy a new car from Vic w/ my insurance money. He's still on my playlist too.

Unknown said...

I knew Vic in the 80's. My mother was friends with him, and we spent many nights listening to him sing, in and around Houston, Texas.
Vic, I oplogize for that discussion we had before your show that night. My mother, Jo Ann, was very fond of you. She passed away from cancer in July of 2013. She showed me the pictures of your last shows, before she died.
Those years were her favorite times.
Thanks for being such a good friend to us all. Hope retirement is suiting you.
Geoff