Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bill Doggett

Artist: Bill Doggett
LP: 12 Songs of Christmas
Song: "I'll Be Home For Christmas"
[ listen ]
Song: "What Child Is This"
[ listen ]
Song: "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town"
[ listen ]

I left work at noon today in order to grab lunch with an old college chum and her super cute 7-year-old daughter. They were spending the day in Seattle until their flight left for Germany in the late afternoon. Once I dropped them at the airport, I decided to do a little Christmas shopping...at Golden Oldies Records! This exciting 1958 Bill Doggett Christmas LP was one of the things I found. A native of Philadelphia, Bill was introduced to music at the age of nine by his mother, a church pianist. He quickly developed a knack for it and went on to play and arrange for The Ink Spots, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Jordan, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, and others. Doggett began using the Hammond organ to make jazz in the 1940s, and the rest, as they say (in the LP liner notes, included below), is musical history. I wasn't planning to post both "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and "What Child Is This" here, but whoever wrote the liner notes suggested it. I feel it's equally important for folks to hear Doggett's rendition of "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town," so I've included that too. You can read more about Bill Doggett's career on Wikipedia here and on the History of Rock website* here.

[ *This website claims that Doggett is semi-retired, and occasionally still performs in Europe and America. It should be noted that Bill passed away in November of 1996 and has since retired completely. ]

[ Bill Doggett: February 16, 1916 — November 13, 1996 ]

No comments: