Sunday, March 20, 2016

Mel Carter

Artist: Mel Carter
LP: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
Song: "What's On Your Mind" 
[ listen ]
Song: "High Noon" 
[ listen ]

It's been a long and busy weekend of fun with the kiddos, including my 3-year-old niece, who I spent the day with on Saturday (she's a doll), and my friends' 6-year-old twins (had to explain to them that a 'dolley' is something you use to move heavy household appliances) who my friend Ed and I hung out with today while their parents went to the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Short Film Festival. Now I just want to curl up at home and be cozy. Since I don't have anyone here to hold me, thrill me, or kiss me, I'm relaxing instead to the velvety vocal caresses of Mel Carter (not to be confused with this other performer of similar name). Mel's rendition of "High Noon" sure does swing!

Born in Cincinnati in 1939 (back when the downtown library was still housed in a former opera house), Mel had his biggest hit when "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" went to #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in 1965. According to Mel's biography here, the song has lost only 2% of its play ability in the last 50 years. That's actually nothing to sneeze at, since "I Got You Babe" from that same year has lost 36% of its play ability, and Pet Clark's "Downtown" has gone down 93%. You can buy Mel Carter's latest CD, "The Other Standards," on his website here, find his Wikipedia page with discography here, and the LP liner notes are included below.

[ Mel Carter ]

No comments: