Thursday, March 24, 2016

Theo Vaness

Artist: Theo Vaness
LP: Back to Music
Song: "Nobody But You" 
[ listen ]

Ugh. Last night I went to see the new Acupuncture Wherewithal movie, CEMETERY OF SPLENDOR, at Northwest Film Forum. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to blow the 'Emperor's New Clothes' whistle on this one. Aside from one medium close-up of a guy pooping in the bushes, the actors all spend the entire film mumbling and whispering to each other about this far away from the camera. I went right to sleep. I've enjoyed some of this guy's other films (UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES and TROPICAL MALADY) but this one just doesn't cut the mustard, if you ask me. It doesn't even cut the mayo. Of course critics have declared it a masterpiece

Anyway, I arrived on Capitol Hill over an hour early so I'd have time to walk the three-and-a-half miles to the theater from where I'd likely be able to find parking. I had a few extra minutes to pop into Everyday Music before the movie started, and I found this delectably danceable disco record in the New Arrivals bin there. Theo Vaness, originally from Holland, made a bit of a splash in the USA during the disco era with the release of several LPs. He started feeling homesick, however, so, according to what I read on the disco-disco website, he eventually returned to his homeland where he continues to perform non-disco music today.

[ Theo Vaness ]

No comments: