Saturday, September 16, 2017

Jerry Lewis [1926-2017]

Artist: Jerry Lewis
LP: Just Sings
Song: "Shine On Your Shoes"
[ listen ]

I was sad to read today that Harry Dean Stanton died. He was 91 years old, which seems crazy since I swear he's been 71 years old for the past 30 years. Then as I was rummaging through one of my record piles this morning I came across this Jerry Lewis record that I'd forgotten about, which reminded me that he too had died recently, and he was also 91 when he died, though Jerry Lewis seems like he's been 91 for the past 30 years. 

I have to admit that I've never seen a proper "Jerry Lewis movie," though I have seen a film or two that contain a Jerry Lewis performance. One of them is Scorsese's THE KING OF COMEDY, which I thought I would like a lot more than I did. The other, one of my favorite oddities of the '90s, is Emir Kusturica's ARIZONA DREAM, also starring Johnny Depp, Faye Dunaway, and Lili Taylor. You can read all about Jerry Lewis here, find his New York Times obituary here, there's a Harry Dean Stanton obituary to be read here, and go here to see a neat picture of Faye Dunaway from one of the very best films of all time. 

Jerry Lewis
[ March 16, 1926 — August 20, 2017 ]
We will miss you, Jerry.

No comments: