Thursday, April 9, 2009

Buddy Bregman & His Orchestra

Artist: Buddy Bregman & His Orchestra
LP: This Band Swings
Song: "My Buddy"
[ listen ]

Here are some hip-swaying swing sounds from a 1967 Buddy Bregman LP I picked up on Vashon Island with all those Burt Kaempfert LPs a while back. Fred Astaire's poorly-written and generally lackluster accolades from the back of the record are included below... but I wonder: How was Fred able to deduce, just from listening to the record, that all the men in Buddy Bregman's orchestra are tops?

COMMENTS BY FRED ASTAIRE

Buddy has hit a consistently individual style. It is to my
mind, an album in which every item is a special attraction.
His treatment of some Cole Porter tunes stood out to me;
and the great Ellington's "In A
Mellow Tone" incited a dancing
mood. One can tell he loved doing the job, and the same can be
said of the entire band. All of his men, from the brilliant trombones
to the powerful drums, are tops—and you hear them individually
more than usual. To me, there is a plus value to the whole
package. All of Buddy's special arranging and conducting
comes out in full force. It's a fine dance album.


No comments: