Tuesday, May 4, 2010

David Essex

Artist: David Essex
LP: 7" single
Song: "Rock On"
[ listen ]

Born in Plaistow, England in 1947, David Essex had his only US top-40 hit with "Rock On," which made it all the way to #5 on the charts back in 1973. You can read more about actor/singer David Essex here. I'd planned to post this single last week, but when I played my copy, the sound was muffled and the record player needle seemed to be furrowing through some sort of dried substance in the single's grooves. To clean the record, I wiped it with a damp white paper towel, which turned a deep yellow color after just a single swipe... so I'm guessing maybe the previous owner of the record lived with a dog that wasn't much of a David Essex fan. Anyway, it still didn't sound right, so I ordered a new copy online and it arrived from Pittsburgh, PA last Thursday. It was nice to finally hear what "Rock On" sounded like without all that pee static.

No comments: