Friday, August 27, 2010

Crystal Gayle

Artist: Crystal Gayle
LP: 7" single
Song: "'Til I Gain Control Again"
[ listen ]

The third and final album by This Mortal Coil came out in 1991 at about the same time I did, and it was one of the main soundtracks for what was a pretty difficult time in my life. Their version of "'Til I Gain Control Again," with lead vocals by Heidi Berry, was one of the songs I listened to most often (you can hear it here), so it was a nice surprise when I recently came across this 1982 single that features Crystal Gayle doing a version of the song. "'Til I Gain Control Again" was originally written by singer Rodney Crowell and was first recorded and released by Emmylou Harris in 1975; you can listen to her version here. Crystal Gayle was born in Paintsville, Kentucky in 1951 and is singer Loretta Lynn's youngest sibling. Gayle has had 18 singles reach #1 on the country charts over the years, you can go here to find out which ones and to read more about the life and career of the talented singer known for her crystal blue eyes and her shimmering, incredibly long hair. I've always thought it must be kinda' gross cleaning out the drain in the tub after Crystal Gayle takes a shower.

No comments: