Thursday, August 5, 2010

Jimmy McGriff

Artist: Jimmy McGriff
LP: I've Got a Woman
Song: "I've Got a Woman"
[ listen ]

My friend Edwardo and I like to meet for breakfast on weekends at Easy Street Cafe in West Seattle, which is attached to Easy Street Records. They've got terrific food at decent prices and the service is great; I highly recommend it if you're ever up in my neck of the woods. After stuffing an Easy Street breakfast burrito, some hash browns, bacon and lots of coffee into my system, I usually try to work off some of those calories by rummaging through the "new arrivals" section of the used vinyl. This wonderfully swingin' 1963 Jimmy McGriff LP is one of the things I unearthed at Easy Street this past Saturday. McGriff, who was good friends with Jimmy Smith, had a long and prolific career in music, interrupted briefly in 1972 when he retired for a while to start a horse farm in Connecticut. You can read all about Jimmy McGriff and see his complete discography here, find his obituary in The New York Times here, and the "I've Got a Woman" liner notes are included below.

 [ Jimmy McGriff: April 3, 1936 — May 24, 2008 ]

No comments: