Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Gospel Starlets

Artist: Gospel Starlets
LP: The Gospel Soul of Christmas
Song: "Children Go Where I Send Thee"
[ listen ]

Here's a terrific various-artists Gospel Christmas record I came across while digging through my holiday LPs, looking for something to listen to while wrapping presents over the weekend. The cover doesn't look very promising, but things improve right away with the opening track by the Gospel Starlets. There's not much info about the Starlets on the internet, but I did find this discography for Springboard International Records, of which Mistletoe Records was a subsidiary. (The discography says the label was based in Los Angeles, but the back of my record says their offices were in Rahway, New Jersey.) At the Steve Hoffman forums website I learned that LPs on the Springboard and Mistletoe labels had been staples in record departments at drug and grocery stores all across America in the 1970s. You can get your own copy of "The Gospel Soul of Christmas" for about 10€ here or listen to it on Rhapsody here.

No comments: