Sunday, May 8, 2016

Gisele MacKenzie

Artist: Gisele MacKenzie
LP: Gisele MacKenzie Sings Lullaby and Goodnight
Song: "Hush, Little Baby" 
[ listen ]
Song: "Oh, Can Ye Sew Cushions?" 
[ listen ]

I'm blessed to have one of the Great Mothers on Earth, so I'd like to proclaim that here, though my mom isn't likely to read it. (She doesn't follow my blog; we have completely different taste in music.) "Hush, Little Baby" is one of the earliest songs I can remember hearing, sung by my mother as she rocked me to sleep in the old family rocking chair. I've also included here the beautiful "Oh, Can Ye Sew Cushions?" from Gisele MacKenzie's 1959 album full of international lullabies, because, well, who's ever heard of a lullaby with the word 'cushions' in the title? The Scots, that's who. More information on the lovely Ms. MacKenzie is available here. Happy Mother's Day!

Gisele MacKenzie on YouTube:
[ "The Twelfth of Never" ]

[ Gisele MacKenzie: January 10, 1927 — September 5, 2003 ]
[ Pictured w/ daughter Gigi in 1962. ]

No comments: