Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Skeeter Davis

Artist: Skeeter Davis
LP: I'll Sing You a Song and Harmonize Too
Song: "Set Him Free"
[ listen ]
Song: "Let Those Brown Eyes Smile at Me"
[ listen ]

This 1960 release was country star Skeeter Davis' first solo LP after her singing partner, Betty Jack, died in a car wreck in the summer of 1953. "I'll Sing You a Song and Harmonize Too" spawned three singles, two of which were hits. "Set Him Free" peaked at #5 on the country singles chart in 1959, while "Am I That Easy to Forget," went to #11 in 1960. You can read more about the record here

For some reason the stereo on the album doesn't record right when I make an mp3. I had to choose between loud violins/judge voice and quiet Skeeter, or full-sounding Skeeter and Chet Atkins' guitar, but with the strings and the judge whispering in the background. I went full Skeeter. It all sounds normal on the stereo in my living room.

[ Skeeter Davis: December 30, 1931 — September 19, 2004 ]

No comments: