Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Banana Has a Peel

I'm afraid I can't wholeheartedly recommend this mix, since it was the result of an experiment. I've got a pretty big collection of 7" singles (started collecting when I was 11, in early 1982) so thought I'd make a mix by closing my eyes and randomly plucking singles from the bins. That's how tracks 1-11 on each side were selected, though of course the order on the mix isn't random. The last two tracks on each side are also from 7" singles, but I picked them with my eyes open to get songs that fit well into the mix and didn't run off the end of the tape.

As you might expect, my experiment revealed some surprises and raised a few questions: Why did I used to think that Heart song wasn't boring? I had no idea that terrible Wham! song was in my collection. I'd forgotten all about The Art of the Noise! Was it really necessary to be a completist when collecting the Loverboy singles of the '80s? And who stuck that Dreamboy song in my stuff?

side one:
01. Dog and Butterfly - Heart
02. I Get Excited - Rick Springfield
03. This Could Be the Night - Loverboy

04. Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie
05. This Must Be the Place - Talking Heads
06. Hole In My Heart (All the Way to China) - Cyndi Lauper

07. The Edge of Heaven - Wham!
08. I Promise (I Do Love You) - Dreamboy

09. Human - The Human League
10. Local Girls - Graham Parker and the Rumour
11. Another Day (Another Girl) - The Lambrettas
12. Nervous Breakdown - Black Flag

13. Philip Glass - Colourbox
[ listen ]

side two:
01. Only Time Will Tell - Asia
02. I Honestly Love You - Olivia Newton-John
03. Eye of the Zombie - John Fogerty
04. When Your Heart Is Weak - Cock Robin

05. Cars - Gary Numan
06. Positive Thing - Mandrill
07. Keep Smilin' - Bunny Sigler
08. Deep Sleep - The B-52s
09. Legacy - The Art of Noise

10. Love On Your Side - Thompson Twins

11. Grandaddy [Part 1] - New Birth

12. Searchin' [Part 1] - The Imaginations
13. When the Lights Go Out - Naked Eyes
[ listen ]

No comments: