Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tom Jones

Artist: Tom Jones
LP: A-TOM-ic Jones
Song: "Dr. Love"
[ listen ]

This past Saturday night I got to play some old soul/R&B/funk records at a bar called 9 Million In Unmarked Bills in Seattle's Fremont neighborhood. It seemed appropriate to start my set with something by Tom Jones, since he's also a white guy who's into soul music.

You can read all about the life and career of son-of-a-Welsh-coal-miner-turned-international-pop-superstar Tom Jones here and the notes from the back of this radioactive 1965 LP are included here:

ps: Two-time Oscar-winning actress Luise Rainer turns 100 years old today (read about her life and career and centennial celebration here and here and here). Happy Birthday, Luise Rainer!

pps: I just found out that French filmmaker Eric Rohmer died yesterday. He was one of my favorites. I just watched FULL MOON IN PARIS a few weeks ago! I recommend that one, and his 1970 film CLAIRE'S KNEE too.

No comments: