Monday, June 27, 2011

The Impressions

Artist: The Impressions
LP: Keep on Pushing
Song: "Keep on Pushing"
[ listen ]

Originally formed as The Roosters by natives of Chattanooga, Tennessee, this talented group relocated to Chicago, added Jerry Butler to their ranks, and renamed themselves The Impressions. When Butler left in 1960 to pursue a solo career, Curtis Mayfield stepped into his shoes as the group's lead vocalist. With Mayfield aboard, The Impressions became one of the windy city's most popular singing groups in the 1960s, releasing a string of hits that climbed the national pop and R&B charts—including "Keep on Pushing," a top ten hit in 1964. You can read all about The Impressions on Wikipedia here, and go here to visit their official website, where you can listen to some of their latest songs and purchase their new Christmas CD.

2 comments:

dj trish said...

I remember having they're version of AMEN on 45 and now have it on CD.I was thinking of putting it as the last song on this years christmas mix but did that a few years back.
You must have one hell of a record collection.oops I mean heck!
How do all these records survive the road trips?
Although I don't have my records any more Im glad there are still collectors.are CDs still selling?
Trish

Alex said...

Hi Trish, I actually found this Impressions record here in Seattle... but the road trip records usually get thrown into the trunk and then shipped home when I've got a bunch. It was really hot in Ohio though for most of my trip, so I had to keep switching the records back and forth from the inside of the car while driving (air conditioning) and the cool darkness of the trunk while parked (cooler than inside the parked car, anyhow). Fortunately, they all made it back to Seattle okay. :)