Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sammy Hagar

Artist: Sammy Hagar
LP: 7" single
Song: "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay"
[ listen ]
Song: "I've Done Everything For You"
[ listen ]

Have you ever wondered what it would sound like if Sammy Hagar recorded an album full of hits by Otis Redding and Rick Springfield? This 1979 single should give you an idea. I've been going through my 45s lately to get rid of records I don't want so I can make room for new stuff. I really can't remember how this Sammy Hagar single ended up in my collection, but I was probably drawn in by the fact that Sammy actually had a photographer accompany him to the dock of a bay to take pictures of him sitting on it. I also enjoy the electric guitar seagull effects, was impressed that the single was produced by the 39th President of the United States of America, and I was curious to hear Hagar's version of "I've Done Everything For You," which he actually wrote and recorded before Rick Springfield made it a hit in 1981.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you live your life under a rock? This song was a hit for sammy long before Rick Springfield ever appeared on General Hospital, long before he every recordered his version, playing upon his "sex appeal" generated by GH fans.

do you have a 45 of bad motor scooter?

Alex said...

Yeah, the rock was called Yakima, Washington.