Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Sheena Easton

 Artist: Sheena Easton
LP: 7" single
Song: "For Your Eyes Only" 
[ listen ]

At the family Easter dinner a few weekends ago I realized what a horrible uncle and older brother I've been. I was telling my family about this 32-year-old treasure I picked up in Everett a few weekends before...


(I think my favorite is probably March, but it's so hard to choose!)


...and my youngest sister, my nieces and my nephews had never even heard of Sheena Easton before! This was shocking to me, since I was a card-carrying member of the Sheena Easton Fan Club the year this calendar came out. My oldest younger sister and I immediately produced and performed an impromptu medley of Sheena's most popular hits that included the choruses of "Morning Train," "For Your Eyes Only" and even "Strut" (I've never been allowed to sing "Sugar Walls" at the dinner table) for the younger set in hopes of sparking some glimmer of recognition, but each of the songs fell upon ears that were complete strangers to them. Obviously I need to put together an early '80s mix tape for the next Williams family vacation. 

In the meantime, here's one of my favorite hits by the lovely Ms. Easton, who evidently performed across the state in Spokane last year and I totally missed it. (Other tour dates here; looks like next up is Atlantic City!) As far as I've ever been able to tell, "For Your Eyes Only" was released as a single in the US with no picture sleeve, which is totally unacceptable—especially for the theme song to such an iconic James Bond movie! I've had to rely on the good people of Portugal to provide me with the sleeve I've got. More info on Sheena Easton here and here and here

No comments: