Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Cyndi Lauper

Artist: Cyndi Lauper
LP: 7" single
Song: "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" 
[ listen ]

This posting may not seem very original or exciting, since every mid-'80s drill-team captain probably owned a copy of this single at some point in their career. But I bet they didn't have the picture sleeve! I'm not sure why Portrait Records bothered putting together such a snazzy sleeve for the U.S. "demonstration" version of Cyndi Lauper's first single, since they went on to release it to the public with a generic plain white sleeve instead (it still went to #2 on the pop charts). I'd never even seen a picture sleeve for the U.S. release of this song until I happened upon this one at Bop Street Records here in Ballard about a year ago—and I paid a pretty penny for it, let me tell you. A pretty penny, indeed. There wasn't even a record in it! 

Anyway, I had this song stuck in my head this afternoon as I was walking over to the taco truck by Safeway. I was thinking about Darla Helen O'Connor. I want her to be the one to walk in the sun! After she's born, I mean. 

Cyndi Lauper had "one-hit-wonder" written all over her when this zany ditty first hit radio airwaves back in 1983. But she ended up being, like, a ten-hit wonder. Good for her! You can read about this terrific and talented lassie here and go here to see a more recent picture of her.

[ Cyndi Lauper ]

No comments: