Friday, December 4, 2009

The Mario Panas Sound

Artist: The Mario Panas Sound
LP: Bouzouki Dancing
Song: "Die Bouzouki Klang Durch Die Sommernacht"
[ listen ]

While visiting my friend Alex in Portland last weekend, we also painted Everyday Music red and I bought this beautiful and unusual bouzouki-themed LP while we were waiting for the paint to dry. To be honest, I wasn't exactly sure what a bouzouki was until I looked it up on the internet and discovered it's one of these. After some more research, I found out that Mario Panas was one of the writers of his daughter Vicky's Eurovision Contest-winning hit, "Apres Toi," which represented Luxembourg in 1971. (You can read more about that and see her perform the song here.) Also, I found out that Mario Panas is originally from Greece and is AKA Leo Leandros, and he's A sometimes KA Leandros Papathanasiou. I'd have to agree though that "The Leandros Papathanasiou Sound" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

[ Mario Panas, Leo Leandros, etc. ]

No comments: