Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Camp Family

Artist: The Camp Family
LP: Putting the Western Back In the Country
Song: "Saddle Up"
[ listen ]
Song: "El Rancho Grande"
[ listen ]
Song: "Texas Plains"
[ listen ]

With the release of this 1981 album, the Camp Family of Tucson, Arizona decided to put the western back in the country. But after hearing just a few bars of the LP opener, "Saddle Up," I wanted the Camps to take the western out again. In fact, I started circulating a petition to see if I could have the entire family taken out of the country. I don't remember where I found this record or how much I paid for it, but I tossed it into my "discard" pile after suffering through just a few tracks. But after giving it another listen a few days later, the record actually began to grow on me. I found myself rooting for the Camps to hit the right notes and was thrilled each time they came close. And now I can't stop listening to it. You can read a little about the Camps and their Triple C Chuckwagon Suppers below, where you will also learn the difference between "country" and "western" music. Though no one in the Camp Family entirely resembles either, there are reportedly both males and females in the group. I've put together a little game below where you can try matching the Camp Family member's photo with the correct corresponding name. The first person to get them all right wins a prize!

 

No comments: