Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rufus Harley

Artist: Rufus Harley
LP: Scotch & Soul
Song: "Scotch & Soul"
[ listen ]

This must have seemed like a good idea at the time, though I'm guessing a little Scotch & Soda probably played a role in getting the execs at Atlantic to green-light the project. Rufus does create an interesting sound with his jazz/soul bagpipes, and the novelty aspect holds up well since, as far as I know, nobody ever tried this again. You can read about bagpipes here and learn about Rufus Harley's life and career and find out how he got mixed up with bagpipes in the first place here and here. The liner notes (with a little part missing) from the 1967 "Scotch & Soul" LP are here:

[ Rufus Harley: May 20, 1936 — July 31, 2006 ]

2 comments:

C.A. Cubed said...

Any brother who was willing to go around in a kilt sporting a set of bagpipes in the 70's is indeed the precursor of all BAMF's, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

um, I am speechless at this one. Just speechless. Maybe I should have had some scotch before I listened? a lot of scotch:)what a find. now put it back.

Catlin