Monday, September 12, 2011

Eavesdroppings

Overheard when: 8:32am on Monday, September 12, 2011
Overheard where: crosswalk at the intersection of Elliott Avenue and West Harrison Streets in Seattle, WA [map] while on my bike waiting for the light to turn green.
Overheard who: a lanky, tattoo-covered, shaggy-haired blond hipster guy in his early 20s, lecturing a shorter, glasses-wearing brown-haired gal of about the same age as they waited for the "don't walk" sign to change.

Overheard what: 
Lanky hipster guy: "See, this is what I'm talking about! We've become so enslaved and so dependent that we wait for a machine to tell us what to do! I mean, I can see perfectly well that it's safe for me to cross the street right now, and yet I stand here waiting for a machine to tell me when I can do it! We should just cross! Are you ready? Do you wanna do it? Do you have what it takes?"
[They step from the curb to cross the street against the "don't walk" sign and are nearly run over by a FedEx truck, since the truck's left-turn traffic signal had turned green while they were talking. They quickly leap back to the safety of the curb.] 
Lanky hipster guy: "Okay, this is where I make an exception."

No comments: