Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Harry Belafonte

Artist: Harry Belafonte
LP: Swing Dat Hammer
Song: "Grizzly Bear"
[ listen ]

Today I woke up to the news that it was Harry Belafonte's 90th birthday! I set aside this award-winning 1960 album of prison chain-gang songs before I headed to work so I wouldn't forget to post it here when I got home. But then after work I zipped over to Uptown Cinema to catch the terrific Oscar-nominated German film TONI ERDMANN before it leaves town on Friday.

Near the end of the film there's a funeral scene where the son of the deceased laments that they didn't play Harry Belafonte as instructed, since he was his mother's favorite singer. So I've really had a Harry Belafonte kind of day. He keeps popping up everywhere! Belafonte's got so many wonderful songs, it's too bad nobody remembers him for anything but that one banana song. Granted, it was his only top 10 hit, but "Grizzly Bear" goes all the way to #1 in my book. Happy Birthday, Harry!

[ Harry Belafonte — Then and Now ]

No comments: