Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Christopher Atkins

Artist: Christopher Atkins
LP: 7" single
Song: "How Can I Live Without Her"
[ listen ]

Here's the other single I found at Spin Cycle last Saturday night in the five minutes before they closed. I would actually encourage you NOT to listen to this one. I've posted the divShare link only for consistency. This terrible song (from what I'm sure must be a terrible movie) somehow clawed its way to #71 on the Billboard singles charts back in 1982. Still, I couldn't keep myself from buying it since Christopher Atkins earned such a warm and special place in my...let's say "heart"...when I was a geeky 11-year-old staying up late to watch THE BLUE LAGOON on HBO while my parents were out at a square dance. Atkins' underwater swimming scenes in particular made a lasting impression on me, and I remember fantasizing about disposing of Brooke Shields, then settling into my new thatch home on an uncharted island with this sexy and tender blond hunk of a man. You can read about the life and career of Christopher Atkins on Wikipedia here.

 [ Christopher Atkins: with Kristy McNichol in "The Pirate Movie" ]

 [ Christopher Atkins: in over his head in "The Blue Lagoon" ]

 [ Christopher Atkins: waiting for 11-yr-old me to return from a long day of fishing ]

4 comments:

dj trish said...

Hmm.Back in the mid 70s to early 80s my heart was for Lee Majors oh but year I can see the attraction of Chris.I think he qiute acting and went on to construction or something like that.Trish

Anonymous said...

He's back acting. :) http://sedonamovie.com/

Anonymous said...

Whenever ''The Pirate Movie'' is on, I watch it. I love how Chris was making those slow-motion movements with his arms as he was walking underwater, wearing nothing except his loincloth & the brass diving helmet, and how he went ''BWAH!'' gasping for air as the water slowly receded inside the helmet!

Anonymous said...

I HAD A POSTER OF HIM FROM THE BLUE LAGOON IN MY BEDROOM GROWING UP . . MY FIRST OF TWO "HOLLYWOOD" CRUSH(ES), SCOTT BAIO BEING THE OTHER.